Follow me on Twitter!

Monday, February 9, 2015

The Beginning of the Beguine

First off: If you're reading this, thank you.  I always teach my students that communication is information traveling from one point to another.  If a train leaves a station and never arrives at the next one, then no transmission of information has occurred; that you're reading this allows those businessmen to go about their day.  For that I am eternally grateful.

Second: every blog post you have read up to this point was written during a period of particular industry for me in 2011-2012.  They were all loaded into the blog with release dates and times and then the blog left to its own devices.  So for the last 2 years or so, blogs were released like clockwork because they were supposed to.

There was something nice about this.  One, it meant I could be unbelievably lazy and basically quit writing.  (Nice and also bad.  It's a double edged sword.)  My writing continued to be "published" (as much as a free improv/movie/bullshit blog can be considered publishing) and I could focus on other projects.  Since the last time I sat down to write, San Diego has gotten a real, legitimate longform improv theater; sold out classes, standing room only shows, and now two nationally attended and exceedingly successful festivals.  2014 turned out to be a major growth year for San Diego improv, probably the first real "boom year" in over a decade.  Occasionally I would meet a student who mentioned that they read my blog, and I would have a twinge of panic.  This is mostly because I never expect anyone to read this (but low and behold we crossed the 10000 page view mark a while ago, apparently) and also because I don't really remember what's in this time capsule.  I shudder to even go back now and look at what I thought or -worse- how I wrote.

The other nice, and morbid, thing, is that I always thought that if I died suddenly there would still be a little way that I would continue to exist.  At least until the blogs ran out.  Then I would really not exist.

That brings me to this post.  I'm out of blogs.  Everything I wrote has already been published, and now I must start writing again.  Everything you read from this point on has been written recently (or, in very few cases, is a post I started on, never really got very far in, and have actually made a real post, not just a two sentence idea, out of it).

So thank you for reading.  If you've posted a post somewhere or recommended it to someone else, thank you.  If you've come to see a show or taken a class, thanks for that as well.  This is all for nought if it has not an audience.  And this is all for nought if I do not create new content.

No comments:

Post a Comment