Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sean and I

So, can I prove that the group dynamics exist the way I claim they do? Well, the difficulty with any theory is proving that it exists absolutely (making it a law) but I can provide supporting documentation to support my theory. The first improv group I was in, I was a member of for a long time – four years nearly, with the last three spent acting as second in command of the group (officially: “Minister of Misinformation and Propaganda”). The president of the group was my good friend, Sean, so right off the bat, using the information I presented last week, one of us was the hero (or leader, chief, etc.) and the other was the second banana (“Lancer” to use the TVTropes parlance). As he was officially above me, there's no reason to believe that he wasn't the hero, and I the lancer (no complaints here, cooler title anyway).

Sean and I couldn't be a better case in point for the “five and up” man dynamic; Sean was fun, charismatic, creative, optimistic, energetic, easy going, and level headed. I, on the other hand, was strict, cold, a stickler for details and rules, pessimistic, cynical, angry, and volatile. Together, we filled out the dynamic at the top of the group, whether we knew it or not. (Of course we didn't, but I do remember talking with him at one point about our dichotomy.) Despite these facts, we were still friends, and our interplay allowed our group to work: we had two of the jobs filled in the group, the conflicting points of view, giving the group balance. Everyone else filled in the rest of the roles: logic, heart, etc. No one told us to behave like that: we just did, it was who we were, and the resulting self organization allowed the group to operated. I personally think that was some of the best times I've had in regards to a group of people I like to just hang out with.

On a side note, Sean may have realized the balance, because he occasionally called on me to be the enforcer. Sean knew he didn't want to be “that guy” who forces people to do things (even if they needed to be done), and that I had no qualms about it. The result would be that he was the inspired dreamer, and I was the hard authoritarian. Sometimes we may not like the job we have and would like to be the fun guy – alas that's not the way the world works. We sometimes have to play our strengths, regardless of the consequences.

My last thought – groups need not understand or even recognize the details of these circumstances for it to work (they if you do, you have greater freedom in playing with concepts and roles). These dynamics arise on their own, reorganizing if necessary. The most important trait is to just love the people you're on stage with. They're really the only ones that matter, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't necessarily "aware" of the dynamic. I just knew that I'm not a particularly forceful personality. Middle kid and all of that. I can mediate, but that means I have to hedge and compromise, sometimes when I shouldn't. As Melissa points out, I don't always have the easiest time sticking up for myself. It wasn't your "cold authority" persay. It was your stick-to-your-guns persona. I knew you wouldn't hedge what needed to be said the way I would because I'd always have that doubt that maybe I was the one in the wrong.

    Believe me, if there were times you wish you could be "the fun guy" (which I think you were more often than you give yourself credit for), there were--and still are--times when I wish I could be an enforcer. Either way, without your structure and your push, I'd have come up with who knows how many crazy ideas that I wouldn't be able to implement, which would have caused the group to become a frantic mess. Like Robert said, I can be pretty unfocused, and I don't think we'd have accomplished as much during my term as "president" without your realistic and practical guidance and clarity.

    But good post!

    P.S. There's an "RPG" of sorts called "A Penny for My Thoughts" written by a guy who does improv that I think you'd really dig. Plus, the game itself makes a GREAT accept and build, cooperative story telling improv exercise.

    ReplyDelete